Where do I find 3D stuff for my library? Looking at my library, you’d find an incredible array of… well, stuff! Characters, animals, sets, props, lights, cameras… I’ve got an impressive library that’s taken years to build up mostly. While DAZ3D is indeed my primary source, I’ve got a long list of other sources I tend to exhaust first and I thought it might be interesting to share a few of them here.
- http://www.most-digital-creations.com/freestuff.htm Now, I have to warn you about this one in particular: It’s quite adult-oriented. Plenty of the stuff is obviously for… well not to put too fine a point on it, porn-type art. If you can ignore that, you’ll find other stuff that is quite good. The ferret model I use for Breezer came from here.
- http://www.sharecg.com/ I’ve been known to spend hours digging through this one, but file format can be bothersome at times. The other bother is license. Not everything is able to be used for commercial use, and sometimes that can be quite the headache when you find something good.
- http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/9443/ If you’re like me and looking for superhero stuff, this forum article has no shortage in the slightest. Did you know Stygere borrowed Power Girl’s cape for a while? If you check the books carefully, you’ll notice I recently changed it to a similar model that’s not Power Girl’s cape anymore.
- http://www.runtimedna.com/ Not all of these are free, but it’s quite a nice collection of 3D stuff anyway.
- http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload01.php I love disproving the “stiff cloth” complaint when it comes to 3D, but it takes a lot of power. This site has a wonderful collection of dynamic soft cloth items that work extremely well in DAZ Studio. Just keep in mind that you’ll definitely need a strong computer to handle the dynamic calculations involved in making natural-looking cloth.
This is only a few of my favorite sources, I’ve got a lot more and I’m always on the hunt for new ones. Know of a good source I might not? Tell me! I’d love knowing about it and exploring it! If you’re on Facebook, you’re welcome in my group where I have a complete list of all my favorite sources. If you know of one that’s not on my list, I’d love to know about it!